Dec 09 2013

Veterinarians Concerned about Rainbow Loom Band Safety

Rainbow Loom Bands

 

 

 

 

 

It’s one of the hottest kids toys this Christmas but it seems the fun has been short lived for some families.  The Rainbow Loom bands are causing a problem for pets when ingested.  Symptoms range from mild gastrointestinal upset (vomiting, diarrhea) to full gastrointestinal obstruction and/or impaction requiring emergency surgery. 

My own kids have a gazillion of these rubber bands and make cute bracelets for their friends. We are not trying to stifle anyone’s creativity but merely wish to offer a word of caution.  Some animals have become sick (especially cats) from eating single bands, others (typically dogs) are becoming sick from eating the finished product. 

YouTube offers instructions on making dog and cat collars from these bands.  We especially caution against making things for your pets to wear – this obviously significantly increases the chances of ingestion and is simply not a good idea!

Fox 8 – Cleveland Ohio, ran a story recently regarding the safety concerns of Rainbow Loom.  The story can be seen by clicking the link below:

Veterinarian’s Warn About The Dangers of Rainbow Loom Bands

Play, have fun, but play it safe!

– Jo Fleming RVT

darbyvet | Uncategorized

Comments are closed.

Location Hours
Monday9:00am – 6:00pm
Tuesday8:00am – 7:00pm
Wednesday9:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday9:00am – 5:00pm
Friday9:00am – 5:00pm
Saturday9:00am – 1:00pm
SundayClosed

Patients are typically seen by appointment. Please call 614-851-6660 to reserve an appointment time.